Palante is seeking a short-term tech support contractor to join us in our work to support incredible nonprofit and community organizations in New York City. The contractor will help support our tech support team, providing remote and on-site assistance to our clients in Manhattan and Brooklyn from May 16 through June 18, 2018.
Palante Tech is a worker cooperative that provides tech consulting services to progressive nonprofit, social justice, activist and community organizations. Over the years, in our individual and collective work, we've developed a deep understanding of nonprofit tech needs and the expertise needed to meet them. Each of us has also been long involved with activism and organizing in non-technological capacities, including involvement with many of our client organizations. Palante Tech is currently a team of seven distributed across the US and Mexico. You can find out more about each of us on our website at https://palantetech.coop/about.
We're looking for someone who is based in New York City, has a well-rounded set of technical skills, and is good at learning new skills. You will be visiting the offiices of nonprofit clients in Brooklyn and Manhattan and should feel comfortable providing in-person technical support and interacting with clients as a representative of Palante Tech. We prefer that you have experience with working remotely and independently; you should be comfortable with a high amount of communication via phone, video, email, chat, and an online project management system. Ideal candidates will share our commitment to working with progressive and social justice nonprofits & community organizations.
The ideal person will be able to demonstrate the following qualities and skills:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Talent for explaining technical answers patiently to non-technical folks in a way that's accessible without being condescending;
- Comfort solving a wide range of software, networking and hardware issues such as might be found in small (5-20 person) offices
- The ability to work well under pressure when the situation requires it.
Also most or all of these technical skills:
- Installing and configuring routers and switches, both residential and SOHO-grade (e.g. Sonicwall TZ170, Zyxel ZyWall series).
- Installing, configuring and troubleshooting a wide range of Windows operating systems and software (Windows 7/8, Microsoft Office, web browsers, etc.)
- Configuring and troubleshooting email-related issues across a number of platforms/clients (SMTP, IMAP, Thunderbird, Outlook, smartphone clients)
- Able to configure and troubleshoot firewall-related issues
- Comfortable writing and editing basic scripts to automate simple tasks
- Installing, configuring, and troubleshooting servers, particularly Windows Server and Debian/Ubuntu
- Familiarity with the open source software ecosystem
- Familiarity with the Linux command line
- The ability to write clear technical documentation for internal use
- Experience with systems automation software (Puppet, wpkg, and similar)
- Experience with MySQL, PHP, bash scripting, Samba, Postfix, Apache
- Experience with PGP encryption
Furthermore, this job has the following requirements:
- Fluency in English
- Ability to climb stairs, lift and carry computer-sized objects
Wages and Hours
The hourly rate is competitive and negotiable. Hours are also negotiable, but we expect the contractor to be available for 5-20 hours of work per week.
How to Apply
Please email us at join [at] palantetech.coop with the following:
- a cover letter/letter of interest, including why you're interested in joining a worker cooperative and working with social justice community organizations
- your resume
People of color, women, genderqueer and trans folks, and queer folks strongly encouraged to apply.