This position has been filled! This post remains online for posterity and to avoid broken links.
Palante Technology Cooperative is seeking a new worker to join our cooperative! We are looking for someone who is passionate about supporting nonprofit social justice organizations in meeting their technology goals. The new worker will join our web team, providing remote support, training, feature development and other services to clients across the country.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.
Who We Are
Palante Technology is a worker cooperative that provides tech consulting services to progressive nonprofit, social justice, activist and community organizations. Through years of individual and collective work we've developed a deep understanding of nonprofit tech needs and the expertise needed to meet them. Each of us has also been long involved with activism and organizing in non-technological capacities, including involvement with many of our client organizations. This breadth of experience allows us to provide services that are tailored to meet the specialized needs of nonprofit community organizations.
Palante Tech is currently comprised of seven worker-owners, located in New York, Michigan, West Virginia and California. You can find out more about each of us on our About page.
Wages and Benefits
All Palante workers are paid at the same hourly rate of $32.50, plus patronage after nine months if they become worker-owners. Professional development and community involvement of various sorts are paid; we encourage workers to seek out these opportunities! We currently offer paid health time, paid vacation, paid family leave, 401k, FSA, and health and dental insurance to all workers. We have a strong commitment to collective accountability, treating each other well, and ensuring that each worker is able to lead a healthy, fulfilling and balanced life.
Our Worker Cooperative
As a member of our worker cooperative you will participate in the day-to-day business of Palante: prospecting for new work, managing projects and clients, helping with billing and bookkeeping, and making business decisions via consensus at our weekly meetings. We have many areas of work, and we encourage everyone to learn about them all and branch out into other areas. All Palante workers are candidates for worker-ownership of the cooperative after 9 months of employment. One of the benefits of ownership is patronage, or a share in the company profits based on a worker's percentage of the total hours worked.
Who We're Looking For
Palante is looking for someone who has a well-rounded set of professional and technical skills and is good at learning new skills. We prefer that you have experience with working remotely and independently; you should be comfortable with a high amount of communication via phone, video, email, chat and an online project management system. Ideal candidates will share our commitment to working with progressive and social justice nonprofits and community organizations.
Your primary role will be to serve as a back-end developer for our web clients. You will provide direct support to clients using Backdrop, Drupal, WordPress and CiviCRM. This work includes contributing to modules, extensions and plugins to enhance functionality; developing custom functionality as required; maintaining the software by applying updates; answering client questions about CMS and CRM functionality; and advising on workflows. You will help develop new CMS and CRM implementations, including scoping, project planning, data migration and functionality build-outs. You will also have opportunities to explore and learn other portions of Palante's work.
This is a full time position with flexibility around schedules and exact numbers of hours.
The ideal candidate has the following qualities/skills:
* Proficiency in problem analysis, troubleshooting, and debugging technical issues;
* Good communication skills (written and verbal) with careful attention to detail;
* Able to work independently, with minimal supervision, as well as be part of a team;
* Talent for explaining technical problems and solutions patiently to non-technical folks in a way that's accessible;
* Experience with Apache, Linux, PHP and MySQL; or equivalent stack experience and willingness to learn LAMP stack.
* Experience with Backdrop, Drupal, WordPress or similar content management systems.
* Experience with git;
* Familiarity with APIs and developing new functionality with an API;
Nice to have skills/experience:
* Experience with project management for web or similar projects;
* Experience with migrating content from one CMS installation to another;
* Familiarity or involvement with open source project development and communities;
* Experience and skill with CiviCRM, or equivalent experience with database administration, management, analysis and integration of similar constituent relationship management systems.
* Understanding of or experience with working within cooperatives;
* Experience with organizational or business administration;
* Experience with PGP encryption.
* Perform regular updates and maintenance for Drupal, Backdrop, and WordPress implementations;
* Directly interact with and assist clients with a breadth of CMS daily use and administrative needs;
* Diagnose and troubleshoot issues with CMS implementations;
* Participate in new CMS and CRM implementation projects;
* Develop new CMS features via custom or contributed modules and plugins to provide enhanced functionality for clients;
* Be responsive and engaged with the business and administration of the cooperative, increasing as the worker approaches worker-ownership.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please email us with the following:
* A cover letter/letter of interest, including why you're interested in joining a worker cooperative and working with social justice community organizations
* Your professional resume
* Links to online portfolios, public git repositories or other examples of your work.
People of color, women, genderqueer and trans folks, and queer folks strongly encouraged to apply.