Yesterday I installed Open Atrium for the first time. I've been using GoPlan for a few years now and while it's a great app and has been totally satisfactory, we'd prefer to use something free and open source for project management. And since this is a Drupal shop, nothing makes more sense than Open Atrium.
I downloaded and installed the newest Open Atrium version available (1.0-beta5), did some basic configuration, checked things out and was quite pleased with what I saw. But I noticed that the Drupal core was outdated at version 6.15, and I'm not really keen on running Drupal with security holes, so I set out to update to 6.16.
My first update attempt failed; backed up the old code and my database, installed the new Drupal core code, moved stuff back to where I thought it needed to be, ran
drush updatedb, went to my site and saw no styles, no content, and a few error messages. Undid everything I'd done, restored my database backup, poked around on the web for any documentation about updating Drupal core in Open Atrium and found nothing except other folks having problems and looking for help. So I started over and managed to make it work; haven't worked tons with the site yet so there might yet be something broken, but I figured I'd still post the steps I took up here for my own reference and to hopefully give someone else a hand.
- Backed up the database and all code (always the essential first step!)
~to refer to my Drupal root directory) Moved
~/sitesout of my Drupal root for safekeeping.
- Removed all remaining files and directories from my Drupal root directory.
- Downloaded and decompressed the Drupal 6.16 code into my Drupal root directory.
- Moved my old
sitesdirectories back into my Drupal directory structure.
drush updatedb; if you don't use Drush you can run
update.phpthrough your web browser.
- Pointed my browser to my site, logged in, tested a few things out - all looks good!
Not so difficult; the only thing I did differently the second time around was to make sure that the
~/profiles/openatrium directory was back in place before updating the Drupal database, so I think that was the key.
Hope this helps other folks running into trouble updating core on their Open Atrium installs!