Palante Technology Cooperative is seeking a short-term technical support contractor to join us in our work to support incredible nonprofit and community organizations. The contractor will help support our tech support team, working 15-30 hours per week, providing remote assistance to our clients from Jan 30th through March 13th, 2023.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.
Who We Are
Palante Tech is a worker cooperative that provides tech services to progressive nonprofit, social justice, activist and community organizations. Over the years, in our individual and collective work, we've developed a deep understanding of nonprofit tech needs and the expertise required to meet them. Each of us has also been long involved with activism and organizing in non-technological capacities. This breadth of experience allows us to provide services that are tailored to meet the specific needs of nonprofit community organizations.
Palante Tech is currently a team of six workers distributed across the US. You can find out more about each of us on our website at https://palantetech.coop/about.
Wages and Benefits
This short term position is paid at an hourly rate of $75, with a guaranteed minimum of 15 hours per week. This short term position does not include benefits.
Who We're Looking For
Palante is looking for someone who has a well-rounded set of professional and technical skills and is good at learning new skills. We prefer that you have experience with working remotely and independently; you should be comfortable with a high amount of communication via phone, video, email, chat and an online project management system. Ideal candidates will share our commitment to working with progressive and social justice nonprofits and community organizations.
The ideal person will be able to demonstrate the following qualities and skills:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Talent for explaining technical answers patiently to non-technical folks in a way that's accessible without being condescending
- Comfort solving a wide range of software, networking and hardware issues such as might be found in small (5-20 person) offices
- The ability to work well under pressure when the situation requires it
Also most or all of these technical skills:
- Installing, configuring and troubleshooting a wide range of Windows operating systems and software (Windows 10/11, Microsoft Office, web browsers, etc.)
- Configuring and troubleshooting email-related issues across a number of platforms/clients (SMTP, IMAP, Thunderbird, Outlook, smartphone clients)
- Able to configure and troubleshoot firewall-related issues
- Comfortable writing and editing basic scripts to automate simple tasks
- Installing, configuring, and troubleshooting servers, particularly Windows Server and Debian/Ubuntu
- Familiarity with the open source software ecosystem
- Familiarity with the Linux command line
- The ability to write clear technical documentation for internal use
- Experience with systems automation software (Puppet, wpkg, and similar)
- Experience with MySQL, PHP, bash scripting, Samba, Postfix, Apache
Furthermore, this job has the following requirements:
- Fluency in English
How to Apply
Please email us at email@example.com with the following:
- A cover letter including:
- Why you're interested in working with a worker cooperative
- Your relevant skills and experience for the job
- Your resume
People of color, trans/non-binary people, LGBQIA people, disabled people, immigrants, religious minorities in the US, fat people, and people from other communities that are currently and historically oppressed are strongly encouraged to apply. As an EOE/AA employer, we will not discriminate in our employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and work successfully with persons of diverse backgrounds, including racial and ethnic, socio-economic, international, LGBQ, and trans identities is essential.