Today I used the Windows Notepad to save a text file onto my Debian server, thinking that I'd be able to view it easily using vi. But when I tried to do so, every line ended with an "^M". Those "^M"s are newline characters. Windows and Linux use different newline characters, so in order to have a Windows text document display properly in Linux, some conversion is needed. I used the handy tr command like so:
Palante Tech Blog
I attended NTEN's Nonprofit Technology Conference in San Francisco and was one of the NTEN live bloggers. I covered a bunch of sessions with notes and commentary. Click on the CoveritLive widget below to check out the transcript, which also includes some comments and questions from folks who were reading along live.
I often have trouble when creating my own scripts to be run by cron on Linux servers. On most of the servers that I administer, I use a homegrown backup script (based on these excellent instructions) that I place in /etc/cron.daily. After upgrading a server to Debian Etch recently I found that my backup script, named backup-script.sh, was no longer working. After stumbling around in the dark for a while, I found a useful tool to use when trying to troubleshoot cron jobs:
Back at the ALP office and therefore back to work on netbooting. After making sure that TFTP was up and running, I moved on to downloading the netbootable OS that I'll be using on my network.
This my documentation of the work I did to get netbooting working at a client's office for troubleshooting and imaging Windows workstations.